Content Manager is an advanced frontend article manager for Joomla. Joomla's built-in permission system is limited to three types of frontend groups. By combining Content Manager with JXtended Control (a precursor to the access control technology for future versions of Joomla), you can create new User Groups and grant them various levels of access at the article category level. Add the JXtended WYSIWYG editor and you have the ability to create anything from small standard paragraphs to whole skeletal frameworks that you can insert into your article. Content Manager provides a user-friendly and configurable Control Panel for frontend users, giving them only the information they need at a glance.
Note for Joomla 1.5.11 sites: Unfortunately there is a bug in the editor button handling that causes a white-screen-of-death or fatal PHP error. For more information and possible workarounds, see http://groups.google.com/group/the-art-of-joomla/msg/e7698115abcd3bde.
- Create new user groups.
- Place users in more than one group.
- Control add and edit permissions on a per category basis for users in one or more groups.
- Control publishing rights, modification of author, access level and parameters as a whole.
- Configurable module-based control panels (less scary than the Administrator Articles Manager).
- Allows for public or registered user article submission.
- Fully customisable output using Joomla's flexible layout override system.
- JXtended Libraries
- The Control extension
- Joomla 1.5.7+
- PHP 5.2+
This extensions requires a medium to advanced working knowledge of Joomla to configure and use to its maximum potential. Please familiarise youself with all instructions first.
All extensions are automatically installed from the one package.
- The Content Manager backend component (com_contentmanager) to configure rules and permissions, the control panels and optionally article templates.
- The Content Manager frontend component giving for frontend article management.
- An access controlled articles module (mod_contentmanager_article) for listing articles that you have permission to work with.
- An access controlled category modules (mod_contentmanager_categories) for creating new articles in the catgories you have permission to work with.
- An access controlled search module (mod_contentmanager_search) for finding articles that you have permission to work with.
- An access controlled and context aware toolbar module (mod_contentmanager_toolbar) that gives you access to the Content Manager Control Panel, allows you to edit the article you are viewing or create a new article in the same category if you have permission.
- The EN-GB language files for all components and modules.
License and Support
This extension is free to download and use on any number of Joomla web sites. It is released as Open Source under the GNU General Public License.
No official support is provided. However, usage difficulties can be reported on the Art of Joomla project tracker.
Improvement suggestions are welcome. Commissioned feature improvements can be negotiated.